Chemical and Biological Engineering Program Objectives:
Graduates should be
- Recognized for excellence in technical and professional problem-solving, teamwork, communication, and leadership skills, and excel in careers in national and international companies in engineering, research and development, business and managerial positions,
- Able to perform independent research to help define the frontiers of knowledge in computer science and engineering or related interdisciplinary areas and pursue graduate study at top-ranked universities worldwide to become future national or international academic leaders,
- Innovators and entrepreneurs with a global vision, who can develop new technologies and/or products, and found new national or international companies in chemical and biological engineering or related areas.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Koç Engineering graduates
- Learn advanced mathematics and natural sciences, and gain the ability to apply this knowledge towards modeling and solution of engineering problems,
- Gain the ability to identify, formulate and solve complex engineering problems,
- Gain the ability to design a component, process, system, or product to meet desired needs under realistic constraints and conditions, addressing economic, environmental, sustainability, producibility, ethical, social, political, health and security issues
- Gain the ability to select and use necessary techniques, and modern engineering and information technology tools for engineering applications and practice,
- Gain the ability to design and conduct experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret data for engineering applications,
- Gain the ability to function in intra-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary teams,
- Gain the ability to effectively communicate in Turkish and English by oral, written, and graphical means,
- Recognize the need for and ability to engage in life-long learning and to reach the most recent information in science and technology
- Recognize and understand professional and ethical responsibility,
- Understand project management, risk management, and change management concepts; as well as awareness of the importance of innovation and entrepreneurship for sustainable economic development.
- Understand impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context, including health, environment, safety and legal issues,
Chemical and Biological Engineering Graduates
- Gain breadth in fundamentals of chemical and biological engineering with required area courses, and provides depth in an area of specialization through 2 area elective and 6 free elective courses.
- Gain the ability to apply knowledge of advanced mathematics, including calculus, multi-variable calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics, advanced science and computational methods to problems at the intersection of chemical engineering and molecular biology,
- Gain strong background in chemistry and biology as well as in knowledge in advanced chemistry topics, including organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biochemistry,
- Gain knowledge of mass and energy conversion, physical and chemical equilibrium thermodynamics, heat, mass and momentum transfer, chemical reaction engineering, separation processes, process dynamics and control related to chemical processes including security and environmental issues.
- Gain the ability to design and conduct laboratory experiments to model operation of chemical/biotechnological plants related to process control, energy, pharmaceutics, nanomaterials and biomaterials,
- Gain an understanding of the interrelationship between molecular biology, chemistry and engineering at a fundamental level and how this interrelationship affects today’s technology.